Filed under Sports

Ames III aims to head to Weber State

On Feb. 1, senior David Ames III officially signed to Weber State University to pursue his passion for football. “I’m very excited and feel like it’s just the place for me to start the rest of my life,” Ames said.

During the 2016 varsity football season, Ames and the team finished with an undefeated record of 12 wins and 0 losses. As a team, their hard work and game strategies led to the winning of the 4A State Championship against Bishop Kelly.

Not only did the team bring home a title, but Ames received his own.  He was named “Player of the Year” for football. “It’s humbling and I’m truly honored, not many people get this award,” Ames said.

Ames has been playing sports since he was four years old after getting his interest from his athletic parents. It has been 14 years, and sports has had a positive impact in his life. “It’s taught me work ethic, character, and what it means to have a family that’s not just blood,” he said.

His family has supported him throughout the years whether it’s good times or crazy times. “Once during a game, my contact fell out and my mom had to come out of the stands and give me one of hers that was not the same prescription,” he said.

The team grew into one big family. Ames said he will miss playing with his best friends at Skyline. According to Ames, the best memory he will take on his journey is “winning state or Emotion Bowl sophomore year since it was my first.”

Ames’ final request is to tell his coaches “You’re the key to our success all the time, you guys put in made us not just a good team but a great team.”