Filed under Opinion

Trump’s not the only one talking

"The media is the opposition party."

Stephen Bannon, the new Trump strategist for the president, is not keeping his mouth closed, but he thinks the press should. “The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for a while,” Bannon said in an interview to the press, and it is not working. “The media here is the opposition party. They don’t understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the President of the United States,” Bannon said.

The claims come at a very interesting time between the relationship of the media and the Trump administration. Earlier that week Senior Chief adviser Kelly Conway was put in the spotlight for what she calls “alternative quotes.” Conway received an extreme amount of bad reviews from the press and Americans all over the country. Mega rated television networks are proving her wrong and not staying quiet. Shortly after the claims, Bannon said to the press the White House relayed a list of terror attacks the press has “never” covered. CNN and many other networks quickly proved the Trump Admission wrong, anchor Anderson Cooper making it clear that not only did CNN cover the stories, but also adding that he was there covering them. “I was there,” he stated.

How does Steve Bannon expect the media to shut up when the administration he works for creates ridiculous headlines every day? The latest headline coming not from Bannon or Trump, but from the senior adviser to the president Kellyanne Conway after she was quickly put in the spot after Conway used her government position to promote Ivanka Trump’s brand after retail giant NORDSTROM said in a statement that it will drop Ivanka products from all their stores.  

In the end as student reporter and co-editor, I don’t think the media should stay shut. I don’t think the media is the enemy. Of course, if you make the news you might think it is, but the media is here to report what’s happening and provide the facts. Yes, I think the media ripped through that code of ethics on this election, but I also think that if you attack the media with false allegations, you will be the butt of all their reporting.

As the media gets geared up to start a new chapter with the Trump Administration, we have to remember that many journalist risk their lives every day to report on what matters and to bring the news to you.