Actions really do have consequences

Back to Article
Back to Article

Actions really do have consequences

Everyone loves a good joke, right? Well, with the summer of 2019 on its way, there is no doubt that senior pranks and other jokes are around the corner. Every year students are amused by the creativity and celebration that surrounds these pranks. In turn however, not all pranks have a positive effect on the community at Skyline. Some pranks have begun tensions between students and staff, caused major property damage, and even damage towards other individuals; and it’s not just seniors that cause pranks. Here are a few examples of pranks that should absolutely never be done again:

In early May, two students were inappropriately messing around in a bathroom near the gyms and music hall. The two students entered the bathroom, clogged up the drains in the sinks and turned them on. While at first it was not too harmful, (admittedly though, it is not that funny or cool of a prank in the first place) the students never turned off the faucets and left them flowing for hours. After several hours passed, someone entered the orchestra room and saw an angering sight: music equipment sitting in two inches of water. Immediately, the spill was reported and cleanup began. It took four hours for four janitors to clean the mess, and with it, $500 of musical instruments.

Another story that has been heard had to deal with a student years ago who attended Skyline. The student entered campus in the middle of the night and somehow got on the roof. After some time up there, they then proceed to try and enter the building through the vents; which also happens to be how they fell through the vents, broke their leg, and got stranded in a janitorial closet. Hours later at around 3:00 am a janitor opened the closet and found the student. Afterwards, of course, the punishments began to be dealt for not only breaking and entering, but breaking the vents as well.

With these pranks seeming all wrong, it is good to mention that there are good pranks that can happen; and it is all based around how much damage is done. “I don’t want to see anyone leave this school with an offense on their record. You could end up not being able to walk for graduation [simply] because you did something stupid,” stated Officer Cowley on the matter. “I’d hate to see a guy do 4 years here and graduate and not be able to walk with his class.” No matter the prank or what is at stake, never get to the point where you have to ask yourself what it cost; it could cost everything.