Josh Francis spotlight

Back to Article
Back to Article

Josh Francis spotlight

Sydney Melior, Reporter

Senior Joshua Francis (12) is a pro at serving on the tennis court, but he’s about to enter a new phase of serving: a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Last week he was in his home, surrounded by family and friends. The anticipation was building up, the excitement but uncertainty of what is next to come, his future literally sitting in his hands as he was about to open his mission call.

Francis was called to serve in the Fort Worth, Texas mission, Spanish speaking. He will spend the next two years performing acts of service, knocking on doors to share his testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and teaching investigators about his church.

After his mission, he wants to go to BYU. If that doesn’t work out, he may choose to go to Utah State or BYU-I. While at college he wants to study business so that he can become an entrepreneur.

We asked Josh how he became interested in tennis. “My grandpa, when he was about 30, he started playing tennis, and then my dad played all through high school, so I’ve just grown up playing tennis.”

When we asked him how he feels about his senior season on the court, he said, “This season has been pretty good. It’s over now. We won some and we lost some, but overall it was pretty good.”

Francis does not play any other sports here at school, but in his spare time he plays football and basketball. “I like sports, tennis pretty much. I would rather play sports than watch them, but I do like to watch sports, mainly tennis or basketball.”

Other random trivia we discovered: his favorite color is green, if he could have a perfect meal, it would include taco salad, brownies with ice cream, and apple juice.