Guns In Education? Yes, Please.

Marcos Resendiz-Lopez, Jr. Sr. Journalist II

“Hey, a teacher brought guns to school. Let’s go see them,” is a phrase you are bound to hear in the hallways of Skyline. It may be taken as a joke at first, but once the students start going down the English hall, it becomes non-ironic and is one of those things you have to see to believe.

Mr. Sanders has been bringing his historic relics for 36 years, and it has always been the highlight of his students’ days. His artifacts range from war torn uniforms and flags, swords used by Axis officers, to letters from the lovers of soldiers from World War 2, to smaller decorative badges and letter openers, and even sand from key areas during wars and tons more amazing antiques. Sanders offers a blast from the past with his relics and gives the students a better understanding of the wars they learn about throughout the year.

But he does something even more unorthodox than bringing some uniforms and helmets: he sometimes bring guns to Skyline. In this day and age where guns are a hot topic, he risks bringing his old guns to a school, and even has guest stars such as the National Guard who bring their military-grade weaponry including a 50-caliber machine gun.

Sanders aims to not only educate the students about history and the significance of it, but also about guns being as safe as the handler makes it.

“Most people are scared of guns since they get a bad rap, which is why I like to bring them here to show that they are tools of war. A lot of kids play video games and that’s the only guns they see, so when they see a real one it gives them more of a sense as to what the soldiers were carrying, and if they see a gun and experience holding one they may not be afraid of them,” Dave Sanders, who teaches US History said.

“Students can’t take my gun away, but they can take away that guns are a tool. They can be either good or bad, it just depends on who’s handling it, and that it’s the idiot that does the bad with them, not necessarily the gun,” Sanders added.

But Sanders isn’t done just yet. He may bring the guns to the students to further refine their understanding of what a gun can do. Depending on the person, he wants to bring the students to the guns. For about a decade he’s been trying to set up a field trip to bring his students out to fire the aforementioned 50-caliber machine gun. “I think it would be a great opportunity to give the students a once in a lifetime chance to shoot a 50 caliber [machine gun],” Sanders said.  But due to various complications about scheduling and potential controversy, the future of this trip is looking less and less likely, but there is a glimmer of hope from Mr. Sanders.