Jordan Peele’s Us movie review

Rosa Maldonado

Jordan Peele, the director of Get Out, released a new film on Mar. 22. His new movie Us has caught the attention of many, including me. While I was watching the movie, I came across a few hidden messages in the film. As soon as the Wilson’s arrive to Santa Cruz, they see a man with 11:11 gouged in his forehead. That triggers to Adelaide having a flashback to when she was a little girl at the carnival and she saw a homeless man holding up a sign that read Jeremiah 11:11. These numbers are shown throughout numerous scenes of the movie because they allude to the biblical scripture that reads “Therefore, this is what the LORD says: I am going to bring calamity upon them, and they will not escape. Though they beg for mercy, I will not listen to their cries” (Jeremiah 11:11). This verse basically describes the whole plot of the movie.

The movie starts out with a commercial on TV known as Hands Across America, which was a benefit event and publicity campaign staged in the 80’s with approximately 6.5 million people “tethered” themselves together in a human chain for fifteen minutes along a path across the contiguous United States.

After we see a young girl, Adelaide, with her parents at a carnival in Santa Cruz. Everything seems to be fun and games for the girl and her father until she wanders off while her parents are unattended to her. She soon finds herself in a funhouse with a “find yourself” sign pointing to the entrance. The entrance leads to a hall of mirrors where she literally finds herself, or her tethered self, Red.

The movie cuts to Adelaide as a grown woman planning a vacation with her family, the Wilson’s, to the beach in Santa Cruz. She finds herself troubled with the idea about going back to the same beach where the carnival took place. She felt as if the girl in the mirror was “getting closer.” This was a message that told us, Red, Adelaide’s tether was rising from the underground tunnels.