Track sprinting for gold

Sydney Melior, Reporter

On your mark, get set, go…finally! The late snow put a damper on the track season when the first meet was cancelled because the track was covered with snow. Guess that’s what happens during spring sports in Idaho when most of spring still has snow on the ground with probably some more to come.

March 14, 2019, at the Highland meet, both the boys and girls varsity teams got second place against Twin Falls, Preston and Highland. The boys got a team score of 177 and the girls got a score of 138.

On March 28, 2019, at Shelley High school, Skyline varsity girls and boys got third place at a meet that 8 different schools were participating in. The boys got a score of 89 and the girls got 112 points.

We asked some of the runners on the team some questions about this years track season.

“I love the friendly competition at the meets and it’s a great way for me to stay in shape,” Jacob Sutton (11) states when we asked him why he started track. Jake competes in the long jump, triple jump and the 100m. “I like the challenge of getting better and better at every meet.”

We asked Cody Walker (11) why he joined the team: “I was in 8th grade and I found that I was pretty good at it. I also get to miss a lot of school.” That’s no shocker about missing school because who wouldn’t like missing school to go hangout with some friends? Walker runs the 110m hurdles and the 300m hurdles, he has been getting out of class to run track for 6 years.

“I started track to stay in shape for cross country and to be with my friends,” Elizabeth Harrison (12) said. Harrison has done track for all 4 years of high school. She runs the 3200m, 1600m and occasionally the 800m. “I like the distance coaches because they are funny and know how to encourage and make us better.”

All three of these runners when asked what their favorite part about track was they answered that the people they run with and are on the team with were the best part about track. They love how supportive their teammates are at practice and at meets.  

The Skyline track team only has 3 meets left: one on May 3 at Thunder Stadium, May 9-10 for the 4A district 6 championships at Raven Stadium and May 17-18 for the IHSAA 4A/5A championships at Eagle high school.