Chick-fil-a takes on the backlash

Max Webster, Investigative Reporter

Most, if not all of us, have heard of the recent news regarding the king of chicken, Chick-fil-a. In 2012, operating officer Dan T. Cathy publicly stated, “I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’ I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.” At the time the words didn’t mean much to the press, but the recent discovery of Chick-fil-a donating money to anti-LGBT groups sparked outrage amongst the populus.  

As word hit the media, members of the LGBTQ community began to respond towards the COO (Chief Operations Officer) explaining their opinions about the issue. Additionally, many joined a boycott of the company and its products. Additionally, the WinShape foundation, which was built to help rebuild connections between people (and created and funded by Chick-fil-a) has been feeling the hate too.

After the backlash, Pete Buttigeig, the Mayor of South Bend, Indiana (who happens to be gay) stated, “I do not approve of their politics, but I kind of approve of their chicken.” In the same interview with The Breakfast Club, he also made jokes about wanting to fix the connection between Chick-fil-a and LGBT members. So maybe if nothing else, I can build that bridge. Maybe I’ll become in a position to broker that peace deal,” stated Buttigeig.

Another way people are reacting to the news comes from college students across the US. In many large campuses Chick-fil-a reigns at lunch, but some want to change that. At New York University the student council voted 19-4 to remove Chick-fil-a from their campus. Additionally, one member wrote to the President of NYU pleading to keep it removed from campus.

Will Chick-fil-a reign supreme or will it fall to the modern world? At the moment it is uncertain, but Chick-fil- a is definitely in for its money.