Disney monopolizes media

Back to Article
Back to Article

Disney monopolizes media

The sharks in Finding Nemo taught us that “Fish are friends not food,” but Disney has monopolised on friends in the industry, and all that’s left is food. The biggest example of Disney’s monopoly is their $71.3 billion acquisition of 20th Century Fox in which they will buy most of Fox.

Disney now owns ESPN, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, Pixar and will soon own the X-Men franchise, a 60 percent stake in Hulu, and various other assets of Fox.

Disney is planning to release Disney+, their own streaming service, by late 2019. This can be seen as a strategic move against Netflix. According to CNBC, Disney will lose $150 million by cutting their licensing deals with Netflix. Disney is okay that big of a loss, because of the potential profits of their streaming service. They will have so much content on their platform that any losses from cutting ties will be insignificant.

Many people already watch so much content made by Disney that it already feels like they control everything you see. According to Variety, Disney’s 12 of the top 100 movies of 2018 grossed $3.1 billion at the domestic box office. In total, 2018 grossed 11.9 billion. That’s not factoring Fox and what Disney can take from them.

Disney is also controlling what we view on a smaller scale. The Oscars are broadcast on ABC, a Disney-owned channel, and they made the decision to not televise the editing, make-up & hairstyling, and the cinematography awards. To no surprise, Disney wasn’t nominated for any of those awards.

All this control Disney has is a form of censorship. A corporation is buying up all of our culture and gives no new meaning to culture. They are still creating great movies every year, but they have been recycling media more often lately. For example, a director has an idea for something, but he won’t get that chance to present it to the world anymore, because with all the money that Disney is making they would want to make more. Movies and TV will be corporate cash grabs.