Work-based learning, real-world training

Katy Alatorre, Reporter

Work based learning is a Program at Skyline High School that helps students learn how to get a job and keep a job. This program is for students with Disabilities, and the students get to go out to various businesses in the community.

For Katy Alatorre (12), her experience was working with the animals/cleaning at the Snake River Animal Shelter.  “My favorite part was mopping and vacuuming the floors, and I got to wash the front and back windows,” Alatorre said. “After I got my duties done, I got to play with the animals, mostly the dogs. My favorite was a dog named “Honey.” She is the mascot for the shelter. She is really playful, and I even got to take her on a walk just around the shelter.”

Alatorre’s other jobs included working at the Idaho Youth Ranch, which is a thrift store. They sell clothes on the floor and other household items. She help pulled tags, hung up clothes , put shoes away, help organized  toys, help pull Jewelry on tags. “I had to help organize the clothes by colors and sizes so they would look nice and be easy to find. When I was there, they had me hang baby clothes, infant sizes, and sort the shoes and put them in order next to their mates,” Alatoree said.

Currently, Alatorre is working at Arugula Deli where her duties are to help peel apples, wash the dishes, put the chairs down and  fold silverware.

“Overall, these experiences really helped me to know that I want to work with animals. Maybe someday I will have my own dog walking business,” she said.

Mary Cruz(12) has also left school to do work-based learning. Her jobs also included working at the Idaho Youth Ranch, where she put shoes away, hanged up clothes, put  baby clothes away, and collected and put away carts. Cruz also worked at Lucy’s Pizza where she had to clean the tables, vacuum the floor and to fold the boxes. Of the jobs, Cruz said she liked them. “I really enjoyed pulling the clothes away at the Idaho Youth Ranch. It was fun to see all of the variety of clothes,” Cruz said. “I still don’t know what exactly I want to after high school. Find a job maybe. I preferred the restaurant, but the store was okay too. I enjoyed being around people.”

Jacob Tabor (12) worked at the Eastern Idaho Aquarium. His job duties were washing the tanks, sweeping, and putting the chairs away. “My favorite job duty was sweeping the floors because it was fun and I like keeping the floors clean.” Tabor worked at the Eastern Idaho Aquarium for about 3 months, it was not stressful for him. “ I really liked my job, and seeing the big fish in the tanks.”

About the Writer
Katy Alatorre, Reporter

Katy has been on newspaper staff for two years. She loves to interview other students because it helps her to overcome her shyness. Outside of school,...