Summing up the season for boys basketball

Sydney Melior, Reporter

We are neck and neck, there are 3 seconds left in the game. The opponent has the ball they shoot and score. A whistle is blown, the buzzer goes off, but a time out had been requested. The crowd is anxiously waiting for a call to be made to see if Skyline has another chance to score and either tie or win the game. This has been the intensity of our Skyline boys basketball games this season.

Overall, our boys in blue have had a pretty good basketball season. After an early season loss to Rigby, on Tues. Jan. 8, 2019, the Grizzlies played the Tigers here at Skyline. The Skyline versus Idaho Falls boys basketball game ended in a close game with a score of 40-48. The boys fought hard to keep up with the Idaho Falls Tigers but ended falling short at the very end.

The Grizzlies bounced back against the Shelley Russets on Thurs. Jan. 10 here at Skyline. The game ended with a decisive win for the Grizzlies by 16 points and a score of 52-36.

The team then had a game on Wed. Jan. 16 against the Bonneville Bees. Skyline initially took the lead, but it was close the entire game, which kept things exciting. The score was 24-24 at half, with each team one upping the other the entire game, but at 1.5 seconds the Bonneville Bees scored another 2 more points. Then a technical foul resulted in a foul shot for the Bees, which made the score 50-53 with .5 seconds on the clock. The Grizz didn’t get the hoped for miracle shot when the timer started again, and the Bee sting stung.

The Skyline Grizzlies now have a standing of 3-2 win-loss ratio at home games and a 4-1 win-loss ratio for away games when playing the other 4-A teams.

We asked some of the boys on the team about some of the insides of being on the basketball team here at Skyline. We asked how they balance school and basketball. “You really have to try to get all your homework done in class because you don’t have time after, so you just hope that it all works out by getting it done in class,”  Spencer Harding (12) said.

We also asked how they can communicate so well while on the court. “We just speak loudly to each other on the court and listen to the other boys on the team,” Ethan Wilding (12) said.

Our next home game will be Wed. Jan. 30 against the Hillcrest Knights, and we have 2 more away games, one against the Shelley Russets on Feb. 1 and one against the Bonneville Bees on Feb. 6.

About the Photographer
Sydney Melior, Reporter

Sydney is a Junior here at Skyline, this is her first year on staff. She is 16 years old. She moved here this year from Lehi, Utah.  Her favorite food...