70 years after Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Violations rage on

A+map+highlighting+countries+affected+by+the+crises+listed.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A map highlighting countries affected by the crises listed.

Bianca Fairchild, Editor In Chief

On Dec. 10, 1948, the United Nations General Assembly established an international goal and expectation for nations to achieve with human rights in their country, called the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This declaration establishing all kinds of rights including: that all people are born equal, have the right to free thought, have the right to life, liberty, and security, and have the right to move and identify with a nationality. However, even today, plenty of these rights are infringed all over the world.

Crisis in Mexico

In parts of Mexico, 30,000 people have completely gone missing without a trace. This has been called a “missing persons crisis”. It is believed that the disappearances have been in connection with the ongoing drug war. On top of that, hundreds of dead bodies have been recovered and identified as missing people.

Syria

The civil war in Syria is considered one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world’s history. Currently over 12 million people worldwide have either been forced out of their homes or murdered. Inside of Syria, there are still 13 million people in need who are suffering and being attacked every day. All of this began in 2011 when anti-government protests began and the government struck back.

Human Trafficking

Human trafficking is a global issue that affects every nation, developed or undeveloped. It is believed that somewhere between 20 to 40 million people are being trafficked worldwide right now. Efforts against human trafficking are broken down into three tiers, the third tier being the worst, and the first tier meaning that the nation is taking sufficient efforts against trafficking. There are 22 countries classified as Tier 3, however there are over 40 nations that are either in Tier 2 or on the Tier 2 watch list. The US is considered to be Tier 1. It is believed that some of the worst countries for trafficking are Russia, China, North Korea, and Venezuela.

Honduran Migrant Caravan

Thousands of people are fleeing Honduras because of violent crimes in their home country. Honduras has the highest murder rate in the world, according to The Telegraph. Crime in Honduras is rampant and the efforts to change that by the government has been little to none. So, a group of a couple hundred people initially left Honduras to head through Guatemala and Mexico to go to America, but they soon grew to thousands of people in need. The Trump Administration has declared these people as “diseased” and as an “invasion.”

Corruption in Africa

While corruption is an issue in every nation, the effects of it on Africa are devastating. The corruption among African economies has risen to the surface because of the recurring lack of investment and economic growth in these countries. However, corruption in Africa grow for a multitude of reasons including that, simply, corporations are monopolizing on the needs of African people and the lack of trade internationally with these nations. While of course Africa has some other issues like genocide, genital mutilation, the water crisis, etc. some of these issues could be solved if it weren’t for the intense corruption there. In addition, a lot of the governments in Africa are ruled by corrupt leaders or radical groups that hold their people hostage.

About the Writer
Bianca Fairchild, Editor In Chief

I would like to go into English Literature and Political Science and eventually become a professor. I am a three year debate student who is way too busy....