Jokes should be funny, not cruel

Hannah Hix, reporter

Jokes, jokes, jokes. We all love to laugh, but jokes about depression, autism, sexuality, and/or pretty much anything you think is really messed up to joke about usually aren’t really funny. I personally have to say that I have joked about these things before, so I don’t want to be a hypocrite. This one subject has gotten to me lately, and just thinking about all the jokes my friends and I make, I realize we aren’t really thinking about the people who actually have these problems and either were born with them or have gone through something very traumatic that they can’t help feeling a certain way.

One thing that I hear quite frequently is jokes about depression or being suicidal. The thing is with this is you can either be making the jokes to try and cover up that you actually feel this way (which actually happens a lot) or you are making the jokes, not having a clue what it’s like to feel alone, lost, or broken. Just thinking “This will probably be funny. Why not say it and make my friends laugh?” not knowing someone with this illness could be a few inches away from you and feel triggered by your comment or feel like they are different in a bad way for feeling this way and it could make it worse or put them down in a way that you think it wouldn’t affect anyone because it’s a “joke.”

Another one I hear a lot is being autistic. This one I make jokes about and now am feeling awful for making. It seems that it’s cool now to call someone autistic for doing or being dumb in a situation. This one I don’t think people really think about. The thing about this joke is the people who actually this, can’t maybe function as well as someone else or they don’t feel emotion like other people do. They struggle, and it’s very sad if you think about it. It’s hard to comprehend because most likely the people who make the jokes don’t have this mental illness, so they don’t exactly know how it feels to hear jokes about autism when they have absolutely no way of controlling it. They don’t just wake up and say, “Today I’m just not going to have this mental illness.” It’s forced on them and they have to deal with it and live with it for the rest of their lives, so it really isn’t something we should be mocking for a few laughs.