Christmas Music: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Marcos Resendiz-Lopez, Jr. Senior Reporter

It’s indeed is the most wonderful time of the year, and for many people one of the best things about Christmas is the music. Love it or hate it, the music for Christmas floods every store you go to, but in some cases you can’t help but hate it, and it makes you regret every purchase you’ve made since Black Friday. But for a lot of good holidays there always has to be something to ruin it such as moms basing their personality around Halloween or two drunk uncles fighting over something that happened in 1985 on Thanksgiving, so this list will identify the worst and best parts of the most stressful yet beloved holiday in America.

1. Justin Bieber – “Mistletoe” Justin Bieber, not a bad guy, but he must really cringe at his older songs from when he was worshipping Ludacris and people thinking he had cancer. But this song isn’t bad because Justin Bieber made it, it’s terrible because it literally is the most cliche sounding lovey dovey garbage. Now nothing is wrong with that, but it really does sound too basic. If you were to take the Christmas theme from the song, it would just be another old Justin Bieber release about loving a girl. Overall the song is a 5/10 on a good day.
  2. Perry Como – “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” There is something really special when an artist himself wishes the listener a Merry Christmas, yet it’s something even more special when the Perry Como manages to make it incredibly beautiful. Every time the song plays in any retail store, it really lightens up the mood and makes you not feel bad about buying those terrible sugar cookies for your peers. Instead, it makes you want to buy more and make you give the song a kiss and call it an absolute masterpiece *muah* 9/10 would totally rate it again.
  3. Different Renditions of the song “All I Want For Christmas Is You” – This song by itself is actually really sweet and provides a great mood for those who have a Christmas sweetheart, but as soon as a different variation are heard it can really push a man down the pit of madness. Why do these artist have to make a terrible rendition of the most overplayed song of all Christmas? Rock, pop, metal, country, DUBSTEP!? Who even thinks dubstep is good in 2018? Someone please sharpen a candy cane and stick it in my jugular. As said before this song isn’t even that bad but it’s easily the most overplayed song of the bunch. But in all honesty this song is a 6/10 for the original, and an unwashed 1-year-old Santa hat/10 for different renditions.
  4. Bobby Helms – “Jingle Bell Rock” Although also pretty overplayed but this one isn’t cheesy garbage, it’s just a simple nice guitar with a nice hook that really sticks to you. Even if you don’t know this song in its entirety you can easily recognise the song by its first few seconds. Bobby Helms offers a nice warm feeling of Christmas, it’s the song equivalent of Egg Nog, best enjoyed during Christmas in the comfort of your own home. Not really much needs to be said about the song it really is just that good!
  5. Michael Buble “Santa Baby” I could care less about these people riding Michael like a reindeer, but Santa Baby by Michael Buble is completely awful. Yea sure the doo wop vocals in the beginning is funny and quirky and good for some movies, but the whole thing just sounds basic and the only reason he says “buddy” instead of “baby” was because he’s self conscious of sounding gay. Come on man, the song is about thanking Santa for being a stand up guy the least you can call him is baby. If you’re not even going to use the name of the song, then rename it so it won’t throw anyone off.