Fantastic Beasts sequel contains fantastic themes for youth empowerment

Leslie Jaynes, Reporter

In the 2018 Harry Potter prequel FBAWTFT: Crimes of Grindelwald, there are very heavy themes of prejudice and discrimination. The acts of Grindelwald throughout this film and its predecessor are very similar to those of Hitler and other historical figures like him. The manipulative tendencies Grindelwald has combined with his want to eliminate nearly all “No-Majs,” otherwise known as “Muggles,” coincide with the path that Hitler and his followers took. His manipulative rise to power and his “Final Solution” are nearly identical to the steps taken by this fictional character.

Author J.K. Rowling created an entire universe and influenced both past and future generations with her words. The Harry Potter series (and beyond) is still constantly quoted and read, and the lessons held within are still extremely relevant, if not more so. The theme of corrupt government being found out and fought by the future leaders thereof, and those same youth fighting back against the worst of the country, can tie back to real, modern life. Teenagers are standing together around the country against our government in numerous ways. From gun control to abortion rights to rape trials, teenage voices are now being heard everywhere. Nikayla Liebe (10) believes that this series, “empowers youth [and] shows that youth can have the aspect, not to take over the world, but to have some power.” This magical world connected with thousands of young hearts, and these ideals stuck with them throughout their lives, finally manifesting in the best way they saw fit.

Becoming involved in the actions our government takes is infinitely important. Rowling ensured that generations to come can and will be aware of this. While this series has evident themes of magic and fantasy, the dark truth behind the storyline will forever be visible from the pedestal of a realist, or even that of a simple subliminal reader. Altogether, this film has held its ground alongside its predecessors, and it will surely continue to do so. With such a solid foundation having been created so long ago, and with such a dedicated fanbase, it would be shocking for something other than success to be seen in the world of Harry Potter.