Skyline coed varsity hockey hits the ice

Back to Article
Back to Article

During the Skyline versus Idaho Falls hockey game, one of the Idaho Falls players trying to block one of our Skyline players rushing to get the puck to score a goal.

Sydney Melior

Sydney Melior

Sydney Melior

Sydney Melior, Reporter

Sydney Melior

The puck hits the ice, the adrenaline flowing through the player’s veins as they are getting ready for the rivalry game of the season to start. Our co-ed Skyline varsity hockey team went head to head against the Idaho Falls Tigers high school varsity team on Dec. 5, and despite their valiant efforts, the game ended in the 3rd period with a score of 4-2 with Idaho Falls varsity leading.

A lot of hard work is put in by the players to make it a successful season. The first tournament of the season started on Fri., Nov. 30 and ended on Sun., Dec. 2. The tournament was hosted in Sun Valley at the Champion Ice House. The team came out with a loss against the Bonneville/Hillcrest team with a score of 4-7, but they were determined not to let it get them down.

Shalee Suekel (11), the goalie for our co-ed Skyline varsity hockey team, stated, “The Skyline team is very funny and they are supportive.” The co-ed team plays at the Joe Marmo/Wayne Lehto Ice Arena.  Shalee got into hockey when she was about 4 years old and has been playing ever since. She thought that it would be fun because her older brother and older sister played hockey.

The game is intense, not only physically, but also in the amount of dedication required. “The season is about 6 months. Practices can be an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes,” Suekel said. The games last for about and hour and a half.

While at the game, Idaho Falls had an entire student section there supporting their team; meanwhile, there were few if any students other than myself there from Skyline to cheer on our team.

About the Contributor
Sydney Melior, Reporter

Sydney is a Junior here at Skyline, this is her first year on staff. She is 16 years old. She moved here this year from Lehi, Utah.  Her favorite food...