Why football’s not just for boys anymore

Cassidy Monson, Reporter

Here at Skyline we love school spirit, we love pep rallies and we love supporting our sports teams. We decorate the entire school and town for one week every year for a single game. It comes as no surprise that we love our football team and always chant loud and proud “yes we do, we love our boys in blue” at every game, every chance we get. However, in the past few years we’ve had to modify that chant because not all of the players are boys: Analee Cortez (12) joined the team in 2016.  Analee is the only girl currently playing for Skyline; however, a few girls that attend Skyline now used to play grid kid football. Taryn Chapman (10), Drew Chapman (10), and Mya Monson (10) all played football.

According to Newsday.com approximately 269 girls from seventh to twelfth grade play football  in the United States. Young girls are beginning to feel less pressure to participate in sticking to gender norms, and that leads to more girls finding their passions and love for things that used to be labeled for boys only. However, for these girls it wasn’t about changing stereotypes. Mya said “All of my friends would play football during recess, and I just wanted to play with them. It didn’t matter that they were boys. We were just having fun and being kids. After a while they all told me I should join their team, and so I did”.

Even though the Chapman twins were on a team full of boys, they said that they weren’t treated any different than anyone else. Taryn said “We still got to participate in the drills and games all the same”, and when asked if the other teams treated them any different, Drew said “They didn’t even know we were girls until the end of the game when they saw our face or if they saw our ponytails hanging from out of our helmets.” While they did only play for one year they really enjoyed the entire experience.