Youth Group Wants to Prevent Underage Drinking

Dominick Phillips, Reporter

Youth is partnered with different groups this holiday season to help prevent underage drinking. They hope their message will stay with the community.

Becky Leatham says “ Young people can not drink without the assistance of an adult. An adult either needs to buy it for them, sell it to them, provide it for them, or fail to monitor their own alcohol. It’s the only way teens are getting it,” says the director of C’YA a youth program.

The “Sticker Shock Project” is a project where youth volunteers put $8,000 worth of stickers on the brown paper bags used when adults purchase alcohol from liquor stores in the state of Idaho. “It’s a visual reminder to get our adults to do their share to keep kids safe,” said Leatham.  

The Office of Drug Policy and the Idaho Liquor Division are helping with the “Think Twice or Pay the Price” stickers, if you do provide alcohol for minors, you would be facing one year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines.

“Drinking is a really big problem in the media, in our communities and at our parties” said Katie Suciu, who is a youth volunteer. The main goal of this project is to bring attention to kids and adults about the issue of ungerage drinking. Suciu said, “ When I talk to the people at my school, I tell them about what I’ve done with this group. I think that’s really cool, and that’s something I’m really proud to be apart of it and say that I was.”

Through community involvement is the best way to address this problem believed by C’YA. November 23, the day after Thanksgiving, is when the campaign will be taking place in stores statewide for the public’s awareness.