Trump administration redefines gender

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump administration redefines gender

1.3 Million Americans Identify as Transgender

Eric Garcia, Reporter

The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, according to a recent article by the New York Times. This would be the most drastic rollback on transgender recognition under Federal Civil Rights laws.

This comes after acceptance of LGBT people fell in 2017, says a new study by the Harris Poll.  In the past years, acceptance was on the rise. McKayla Godek (11) says that this decrease is in part due to Trump’s rhetoric.  Meanwhile, Zachary Cheadle Linbeck (10) believes that “a single man cannot control the mindset of a country.”  An anonymous sophomore student believes “it really comes down to Hollywood … and homelife.”

The issue of transgender identification was raised among Skyline students. Godek said, “Forcing a law on something, that’s a unique way of thinking about your body… is a very wrong way to identify.”  Andrew Cavaletto (12) came to the conclusion that for some legal and medical reasons.  “It doesn’t really matter what they think they are,” regarding a transgender’s identification.

“At birth you should be identified by genitalia” said the anonymous sophomore student. Taking Trump’s stance on this issue, but he later argued that when one is older they can identify as anything they want to as long as one “chooses a gender, don’t be too complicated about it.”  After this decrease in acceptance, identification for transgenders is more important than previous years.

Given the current state of this issue in America, Jeremiah Fielding (12) simply said, “If the government is gonna waste time on something, this is a good thing to waste time on.”