Ho-co: old traditions live on

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ho-co: old traditions live on

The Homecoming Royalty: Lord and Lady: Tao Johnson (9) and  Aspen Thomas (9). Duke and Duchess: Christean Thomas (10) and Tenly Draper (10). Prince and Princess: Luke Pope (11) and Adriana Espinoza (11). King and Queen: Jack Snyder (12) and Katie Nawrocki (12).

Marycruz Cruz

Marycruz Cruz

Marycruz Cruz

Marycruz Cruz, Reporter

Homecoming is a tradition at almost every high school and college. It is made up of customs, cultures, and values of each school.  Its name means students who come back to school.

Student Government kicked off our Homecoming week with themed dress up days for each day of the week, including Meme Monday, Tourist Tuesday, Why is that in my Closet Wednesday, Toddler Thursday and Throwback Friday. These days are fun and silly and help students to feel united and get to know one another.

There are many activities associated with Homecoming, and setting them all up is a big job taken on by Skyline Student Government. This year our student body played Powder Buff volleyball against each other, and the winner played the faculty in the final game during the coronation assembly.  The faculty was attacked by Nick Layland’s (12) killer spikes with the students taking the title! The assembly ended with all the homecoming royalty nominations making their way out onto the gym floor and the winners being announced. Lord and Lady: Tao Johnson (9) and  Aspen Thomas (9). Duke and Duchess: Christean Thomas (10) and Tenly Draper (10). Prince and Princess: Luke Pope (11) and Adriana Espinoza (11). King and Queen: Jack Snyder (12) and Katie Nawrocki (12).

The parade commenced Friday shortly after noon. The drumroll of Skyline’s marching band carried through the west side streets as the Homecoming parade made its way through the neighboring streets. Children and community members of all ages gathered in anticipation of lots of candy, loud music, and school spirit. The parade had 43 floats, the largest parade on record. The theme this year was retro (70’s 80’s and 90’s)

.

Among the floats was a Pac-Man themed creation featuring the game board and characters.  Making it more interesting and colorful were the students on the float dressed in costumes representing the ghosts and Pac-Man.  The swim team also had an amazing float with mermaids and a huge wave. The senior float took first place for classes and earned $100. The Drama and Art clubs tied in the club category, so each club will be awarded $50.

The school week ended with the Homecoming Football game played on Friday night against Rigby, followed by the school dance on Saturday night.  Our team played well, but in the end lost to Rigby with the final score Rigby 27, Skyline 21.The dance was an amazing Neon Night at the Waterfront.