Skyline High School: Coming soon to a theater near you

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bruce Couch

Bruce Couch

Bruce Couch

Nic Sloan, Co-Editor

The 1967 Skyline High School football team made a promise 51 years ago to achieve an undefeated season in the name of their coach. A full-length sports film based off this team is being produced right here in Idaho Falls. The film, titled “The Perfect Season,” is planned to be based off of the book “A Promise Kept,” published by Bruce Couch in 2001. The film was announced two hours before this year’s annual 2018 Emotion Bowl.

The book tells both the story of Coach Vernon Ravsten, the first coach of Skyline, as well as the 1967 Skyline football team as they pursue an undefeated “perfect” season in memory of Ravsten, who passed away of liver cancer in April 1967.

Even more interestingly the book’s author, Bruce Couch, was #61 and linebacker of Skyline’s 1967 season. This means the movie will be based of off first hand knowledge obtained from the book.

“A Perfect Season” is planned to follow the heartwarming, uplifting emotion seen in many other great sport films. As the book’s introduction states “His [Ravsten’s] personality and style touched many, many lives.One could not know the man and not love him and respect the great individual he was and the sacrifice he made for the good of others he came in contact with.”

“The players seemed pretty excited to be having a film made about Skyline football, especially with our success lately,” Skyline football coach Chase Meyer said.

Production of the film is estimated to start sometime in February 2019. Winterstate Entertainment is the company responsible for the production of the film. Currently, they are in pre-production. That includes writing of the script, planning the shoot, casting, etc. Their total budget for the film is $2 million.

“We will help set up whenever they [Winterstate] need a place to talk, meet, or if they need to use any of our facilities” Gregg Baczuk, Skyline’s athletic director, said.

The book itself tells a vivid and inspiring story. It’s told from the perspective of Couch, and he does a great job illustrating all the feeling and emotions he and his team experienced during the season. He especially emphasizes the importance of Ravsten in his life, and how he impacted him, even to this day.

“Skyline football is bigger than all of us” Coach Scott Berger said. “We have to remember we aren’t just playing for ourselves, we’re playing for the history of Skyline”.

Couch also likes to describe the local Idaho Falls area and what it’s like to live in Southeastern Idaho. “November in Idaho is a time for sitting by the fire and reading a good book. The potatoes are all out of the ground and safely stored in cellars, away from the numbing cold that reaches deep into the ground and turns it into concrete… They call Chicago the Windy City. I don’t know who “they” is, but “they” never visited Idaho Falls”, Couch writes.

If you are interested in learning more about the movie, reading “A Promise Kept” is a great way to learn what the film is all about. The book will be sold at Deseret Book in the near future, but is also currently available in Skyline’s library.