Emotion Cup

Sujata Gandhi

In the case of the Emotion Cup, the cup was both half-full and half-empty. The girls’ soccer team won against Idaho Falls High School, but the boys’ team lost.

The girls’ team won by 7-1. One of the team captains, Katie Nawrocki (12), said her favorite part of the game was when she made a penalty kick during the second half of the game. One thing that the team has really focused on this season was coming together as a team. “None of us have ever played together, and so we really worked together,” Nawrocki said. One of the highlights this season for the team was their game against Bonneville High School. “We were tied at half-time 0-0, and we ended up coming up in the second half and winning at the last minute,” Nawrocki said. Winning the Emotion Cup is just the tip of the iceberg for the girls’ soccer team, however. “Our goals are to keep our conference play undefeated and to hopefully make it to state.”

Unfortunately, the outcome of the boys’ soccer team was not as good. The boys’ team lost by 3-1. Jose Rosas (12) scored the goal for Skyline. One of the most memorable moments for the team from this season was also the game against Bonneville. “One of my favorite moments was when I scored from half field,” Garrett Wadsworth (11) said. “We’ve been a lot better than we were last year.” The team this year has both members that have been playing together since they were 10, and some new players. The boys’ team also hopes to make it to state.

Soccer is an important part of the players’ lives— both for students on the girls’ team and the boys’ team. “I’ve always been interested in it and I’ve been playing since I was four. It’s always been one of the things that’s kept me going through school,” Wadsworth said. “I’ve been playing soccer since I was… seven, and I always loved it, so I kept playing,” Nawrocki said.