Google classroom vs. Unified Classroom

Kaylin Kuhn

Unified Classroom is a new program the district is encouraging teachers to implement this year. Many classes have been using it. The effects vary from good to bad. Most of the negative effects from Unified Classroom are a result of it being a new program that not many people know how to use, saying it’s complicated and hard to navigate. “There are so many buttons and places to go, and Powerschool is better in my opinion because you can actually check your grades and schedule,” Magdalena Alatorre (11) said.  

However, Unified Classroom has many features that are designed to be useful for both teachers and students. A way it helps many teachers is they can assign one assignment to one specific person, not to everyone, and have it in the grade book. Communication is also better in Unified Classroom than Powerschool because teachers have the ability to attach more information, but Adrian Roker (11) says otherwise. “I don’t think it would help communication, because it shows you the assignments, and when you need to turn it in, but when you’re at home your only communication is through a message, but you never know if they read the message to get back to you.”

The change had been said to be both good and bad on students, but it does depend on the person— mostly if they get easily confused by places they have to be. Unified Classroom is very difficult at times, but has its ups a lot for teachers because it helps them grade and assign assignments to a specific student. “I find myself putting more information into it, because of the way it is set up, so I can see it being probably good,” Beci Beck, the drama teacher, said