Smiles for victory, hugs for team spirit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Macy Olson (11) and Adria Roberts (11) rejoice after a good run at Tiger/Grizz.

Eli Sorensen

Eli Sorensen

Eli Sorensen

Eli Sorensen, Reporter

Last October, seven runners made Skyline history and won the State cross country meet. Of the seven, five are returning this year, and they’ve got their eyes on the prize once more. Even after their victory last year, another win won’t be an easy feat. Despite difficulties they’ve already faced and the challenges they’re overcoming every day, the girls varsity team thinks they can manage another triumph this October, and if the Tiger/Grizz meet last Friday is anything to go by – which, it is – Skyline may very well see these athletes bring home another title before we know it.

The girls have the times and the talent to take state, which was as evident as ever last week at the meet. At Tiger/Grizz, the top twenty runners take home medals for their performance, and four of our athletes were among those awarded Friday: Megan Reed (12) placed fifteenth, Breanne Hermann (12) tenth, Macy Olson (11) seventh, and Sariah Harrison (10) first. With an achievement like that, it’s no surprise Skyline went on to take home the first place trophy later that night. Astonishing, however, is how many of those running varsity at Tiger/Grizz weren’t on last year’s state team – which is a testament to how much athletic ability the girls possess – varsity or otherwise.

It’s no secret that we’re favored to win state again this year, but even with skill seeping from the shoes of our top seven girls, this season isn’t without its challenges. Injury and the increased pressure to compete well are both as viable of threats as the competitors on the course. Even then, Skyline’s girls have already managed to overcome many of these challenges, showing the grit it takes to roll with the punches, ready to prove themselves yet again.

One athlete who recently demonstrated, yet again, the infectious perseverance needed to be a part of a state-winning team is Adria Roberts (11). Adria finished tenth at state last year, being the fourth Skyline runner to cross the finish line. Despite this incredible performance, Roberts has faced a recurring problem throughout her running career: a dislocated knee. It’s not an easy thing to have to repeatedly recover from, though this isn’t something that Adria lets on to. She continues to power through the pain and do what she must to compete alongside her teammates in October – even if it means sitting out for the first few meets.

Adria competed for the first time this season at Tiger/Grizz Friday, performing extremely well in spite of her initial difficulties. “It’s really exciting because it sucks to watch everyone else run while you can’t help them compete,” Roberts said after finishing sixth that day. “There’s a lot more pressure to come back after winning state next year.” On being able to come back, besides her own endurance, Adria credits much of her ability to return after her injury to the support of her teammates. “My teammates and being a competitive person helped me come back. Knowing how it feels to win state really motivated me to keep working, even when it was tough.” The support and unity that flows through and exudes from the girls varsity team is a clear reason that they can compete as well as they do.
Support can only go so far, though. The girls also have to continue to produce results. “Our team hasn’t reached our full potential yet,” says Hermann. Hermann is competing for Skyline for the fourth year in a row this season. Normally, she qualified solely upon her own merits – as an individual. Last year was the first time in her high school career that she was able to qualify for the meet alongside the rest of her teammates. It’s clear that this is something she’d like to see happen again before she graduates – even if it won’t be easy. “Obviously, the other teams are watching for us – we’re targets now – but that motivates us even more, to work harder and stay up there.”