Koplin Strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Koplin Strong

Nate watching the Thunder Ridge football game on Aug. 31, from the University of Utah.

Mindy Koplin

Mindy Koplin

Mindy Koplin

Nicolas Sloan and Dawson Lemons

When a grizzly falls, the community steps up. Skyline Senior Nate Koplin (12) recently was involved in a diving incident at the Snake River. The incident left Koplin paralyzed last month. He’s currently recovering at the University of Utah from surgery and other injuries from the incident.

Koplin plays football for Skyline, and one of his biggest concerns with this incident is getting back on the field. ¨It’s a tragic thing, football was his life,” Bridger Swafford (10), one of Koplin’s teammates, said.

Koplin’s family have been supporting him through this process as well. “Nate wants his team to know that he is not giving up and is working hard and so should they,” said Nate’s mother, Mindy Koplin, in a recent press release. ““They are an inspiration to him.”

If you’d like to support Nate and his family, there will be a best-ball tournament hosted at Journey’s End Golf Course in Shelly on Saturday, Sept. 29. All proceeds of the event will go towards supporting the Koplin family with medical and other expenses. The tournament takes place from 9am to 1pm, and their will be will be hamburgers and hot dogs for purchase. After 1pm, regular golfing will continue until dark, and the proceeds of that will go to the Koplins as well.

Koplin’s teammates have been missing him on the field, and urge for his recovery. “He was a critical part of the team,¨ Ivan Ruiz (12) said. Nate hopes to make a healthy recovery and to get back on the field with his teammates soon. ¨It’s a tragic accident. We’re all a bond of brothers, and I am proud to have his initials on the back of my helmet,” Kaleb Ford (10) said.