College or Vocational: Pros & Cons

Emilio Lee, Reporter, Editor

The goal of District 91 is to make all students college and career ready, but once seniors face graduation, they have to decide if college will actually make them career ready, or if pursuing a vocation is a better choice.

College: This seems to be the choice teachers push most, but it really isn’t for everybody. The advantage about going to college is that when students graduate, they will likely have more opportunities to find a job like being a teacher, a broker, a detective, and many others. Not only that, but students in college learn a lot of general education things that highs schools don’t provide. Also, college gives students a wider opportunity to maybe try to find something that they are really good at as they explore different majors and classes and find out what inspires them to push forward and to find their limits and go beyond those limits. But college is only for those who are passionate, for success is not delivered on a silver platter; it will only come to those who are willing to work for it and put in the hours of study. “Just find something you really like and in an area you like, because you really don’t want to be stuck somewhere you don’t like” Gerardo Cortez (12)

When it comes to the disadvantages of college, there are three major problems, and one of those things is very obvious: the cost. For many years this has been that bane of many students who are going to college or looking into college. The price range for college per year can go up to $3,440 for in-states colleges, $25,620 for out-of-state, and $34,740 at private colleges. Times that by 4 years and it adds up to a staggering amount. The other disadvantage is the the overwhelming stress that comes with it. Students need to wake up in the morning to get ready for the day and for school, get to class, find time to study and work–all while balancing a social life and dealing with fatigue.

Vocational: Vocational education is it a type of education that focuses on preparation for specific jobs, such as a trade, a craft, or a technician. Like Gabriel Woolf (12) who is look to be a mechanic, “Well I think I manly do it because I’m interested in automotive career path. Why not find a career of something you like? I think I am going to Bridgerland Technology College down in Utah,”. One of the benefits is that it helps people focus on preparing specific skills that make them ready to enter the workforce immediately. Another benefit is that it costs way less and usually takes less time, 1-2 years on average.

But there are negatives if you are going to a vocational school. One of those negatives that they don’t have any dorms, unlike traditional college, where there are dorms left and right, so if you decided to go to vocational, you are going to have to find an apartment to rent or to see if you have an relative near the area. Another negative is that if you decided to go from one of the vocational schools and go to a traditional college, your credits don’t transfer with you, but it will transfer when you transfer to a different vocational school.