East Idaho Aquarium Looks Forward to Sharks

You can feed these fish by throwing peas into the tank and watching them swim to the top to eat them, these fish are a cousin to the Parana however they are not carnivorous

Cassidy Monson

Cassidy Monson

Cassidy Monson, Reporter

The East Idaho aquarium, which opened earlier this school year, has a variety of animals and exhibits just waiting to be visited. A college student with a passion for learning and a love for aquariums opened the aquarium in Idaho Falls through donations and sponsors.

Aaron Faires is very excited to announce that there will be six to seven sharks joining the aquarium family very soon! They are guaranteed to be getting a black tip shark, bonnethead shark, bamboo shark, horn shark, nurse shark, and finetooth. There may be others, but all they know for sure are those six breeds; however, there will be seven sharks in total.

The sharks will be coming soon after Christmas, but no later than March. Some are going to be growing up to 14 ft in length. There have been many delays keeping the sharks from making East Idaho their new home. The most recent problem had to do with the tank’s glass malfunctioning. They are hoping to fix these problems very soon, and meanwhile patrons are anxiously waiting to see these beautiful fish.

Even without the sharks, the aquarium is full of beautiful fish and animals worth going to see, touch, and feed. Feeding these animals costs tokens, and each token costs about $2 depending on what package one purchases. It’s highly recommended to buy tokens when visiting the aquarium because the touching, holding, and feeling part is what makes the aquarium educational.

However, here are some animals to feel without tokens. At the start of the aquarium there are starfish and sea urchins kids can hold and feel. Later in, visitors can pet the stingrays without tokens. There are a lot of different fish in the beginning and a few empty tanks waiting on more to arrive.    

Another popular attraction is the tank of sea horses. These are a favorite among many of the littler kids because of how they wrap their tails around the branches of coral and each other. The smaller kids also love fun facts like the male seahorses get pregnant not the female, and that the babies are called fries.

The whole aquarium is based around learning and fun for both kids and adults, so of course it includes a Finding Nemo section full of fishes from the movie. This includes clownfish, blue tang, royal gramma, yellow tang and many other fish making appearances in the movie. The tank even has some cartoons of the characters beside it.

If that isn’t enough, the next section has birds and stingrays, which seem to be its current main attraction. Because most of these animals are rescues, they are older and have their stingers removed. Visitors are allowed to pet the stingrays as they swim by and they won’t sting. For a token, patrons are given a couple frozen shrimp to feed them. They swim right up to people’s hands and suck the shrimp off. It is one of the most memorable and fun parts of the experience.

Last is the birds. A token purchases a handful of bird feed that the birds will eat right out of one’s hand. Five or six birds will usually fly up at once and just sit on an open hand while they eat. It’s not recommended to go in with the birds if bird poop on shirts or shoes is an issue, because it might happen.

Many Skyline students have attested that visiting the aquarium is a ton of fun. “My favorite fish was the doctor fish. They are the ones that eat the dead skin off your hands,” Holly Taylor (11) said. The aquarium is open 9:00 am to 8:00 pm daily.

Cassidy Monson

For one token you can hold birdseed in your hand and the birds will come eat it