Students help animals at local shelter

Abi Hansen (12) sprays down a cage at the Idaho Falls Animal shelter for her Senior Project

Courtesy Abi Hansen

Courtesy Abi Hansen

Tania Carrillo Malagon

Approximately 100 Cats and dogs in Idaho Falls are without a home this Christmas. According to Gayle Contreras, who works at the Idaho Falls Animal Shelter, cats and dogs aren’t being spayed or neutered, and most of the time the animal owners can’t afford to have extra animals to take care of so they are obligated to try and sell them or take them to a shelter. “Spaying and neutering prevents animals from having babies that the owner won’t have room for and have to give up.” Explains Contreras.
That is not the case all of the time, though. Sometimes owners do not give their dogs a proper leash or they do not have a leash at all, and they are able to escape from their backyard. Eventually, they stray to far away from home and they get lost. Most of those animals get taken to the shelter and they have to wait for their owners to show up looking for them. “Putting ID on their pets, putting their dogs on leashes, and making sure there’s no way for them to get out of the yard,” Contreras suggests in order for people to take care of their pets.
Makenna Wold and Abi Hansen decided to work at the Idaho Falls Animal Shelter for their senior project. “I was planning on doing a bakery but she cancelled last minute so I went to the animal shelter because I love animals,” Hansen said. Wold also decided to work at the animal shelter because she has always loved animals.  Hansen tells us that she walked dogs and cleaned their kennels when she was at the animal shelter. While Wold enjoyed the whole experience, Hansen was saddened to witness cats being put down because they were not getting adopted.
“I decided to adopt a dog so they don’t get put down and live a happy life.” Yamilet Yanez (10) says. “We wanted a dog for a really long time and we begged our mom and she finally said yes and we were so happy.” Juritzy Labra (10) explains. Labra goes on to explain how she wanted to help out with the problem of putting down dogs so she decided to adopt one from the shelter.
Adopting a dog at the Idaho Falls Animal Shelter will be between $111-$151 and a cat would be between $95-$115. At the Snake River Animal Shelter dogs are $95-$175 and cats are $70 depending on whether they are female or male and how old they are. When you adopt a pet at the Idaho Falls Animal Shelter the animal is already spayed, microchipped, and the animal is vaccinated against rabies.