Thanksgiving is cancelled…or so it seems

Katelyn Martinez, Reporter

It’s that time of year again, Merry Christmas! The problem results when we begin to overlook one of the most important holidays Thanksgiving. Every year, without fail, businesses and companies go from Halloween straight to Christmas. Thanksgiving is important because it is part of American history. History teaches that our ancestors crossed the ocean in 1621 to free themselves from Britain’s tyrannical rule and achieve religious freedom. A celebration was held to commemorate  their successful harvest with the help of the Indians. However, it wasn’t until 1863, during the Civil War that President Abraham Lincoln declared Thanksgiving a national day, in order to encourage Americans to recognize the victories achieved in the war.  “ We need to remember how we got to where we are” Natea Yanez (11) said.  

Thanksgiving represents our past and reminds us of the first steps taken to make America the way we know it today. Due to that fact, there is much that we all have to be grateful f0r. In our fast-paced lives, it becomes  hard to stop and take a moment to say thanks for all that we, unlike most, are blessed to have. “Focusing on Thanksgiving rather than another holiday such as Christmas or Halloween will reinforce family values rather than just gift giving or just having fun, ” Andrew Cavaletto (11) said. Directing our attention to Thanksgiving and the good things we have more than Christmas will reorient our minds this holiday season. For too long this time of year has been about the presents  we give or receive.

Thanksgiving should hold more importance in our year because our American history is slowly getting erased and changed. It all starts with the American people feeding into the commercialism of the holiday season, rushing into the sparkles and tinsel of Christmas.

As Thanksgiving draws near, I ask all of you to enjoy this holiday, where we can celebrate what we have the privilege to be grateful for. Sit around the table with those you love and carry on our country’s tradition of Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving! As Quoted in “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving”, “We thank God for our homes and our food and our safety in a new land. We thank God for the opportunity to create a new world with freedom and justice.”