Veteran’s Day at SHS

Emilio Lee

Skyline celebrated Veterans Day on Nov. 10 with a slideshow produced by Vanessa Kokrda in the halls and military vehicles arranged by Aaron Jarnagin, who juggles his responsibilities as our principal and as a member of the army in the National Guard.

Veterans Day is the day where we celebrate those who have fought in wars where we were unable to, those who have fought to protect our freedom, and those who have fought to protect our families, friends and fellow citizens.We honor those who have served ,who are serving, and who want to join the military in the future.

Zach Campbell (12) is one of those who wish to join in the future. He plans to do so after graduation. He wants to join because of his family. “It’s something that my grandpa did, my uncle did, and my dad did, so you know that I kind of follow their path,” Campbell explained.

Dayton Mirmontazeri (10) is also considering enlisting in the Army. “I think it would be fun,” he said when asked why. “And my uncle is in the army.” He’s not certain about this path yet, but other ideas he is considering include being a firefighter.

Many students went out to explore the HMMWVs (which stands for High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle) and to talk to the recruiters. Jesus Araujo (10) and Ramon Cisneros (10) are two more who are considering the army. Why? “Just to protect the country,” Araujo said. “I think I would like everything, and just to serve the country,” Cisneros replied.

Sergeant Lockyer was just one of several army service men onsite to answer questions.  What does he love about serving? “The pride you have for the country,” he said. When asked about the hardest part of serving, he replied, “Nothing’s really been hard, just digging down and finding strength to finish it.” While he has yet to be stationed overseas, he has been serving in the army for five years. “Students should really think about the benefits you have and the joy of serving your country. The opportunities it provides and the life lessons you learn are amazing.”