Hunt Down the Memories

Sarah Copley, Student Life Editor

Zane Holliday
“ I’ve been hunting for about four years now but until this year I did not have any success. I went out a couple times earlier this year without seeing anything, until one day after school when I left with a family friend in the hopes of finding something. We were probably walking through the woods for about half an hour before we decided to use our binoculars. We ended up seeing a group of deer 800 yards away at the top of a hill. We chose to sneak half a mile around the group before crawling on our hands and knees until we reached the top of the hill. A little over a hundred yards there was a single buck looking up at us. I slowly drew my gun and placed it on my bipod to steady myself. I carefully and quickly, aimed for the buck and took my shot. I hit him once and he went down. The worst part was having to drag the buck all the way back to our truck because of how heavy and big he was.”

Brock Braase
“It was the opening day of the hunt and my dad and I woke up at 3am. We had to leave really early because the hunting location was far away from our house. Once we got there we unloaded our four wheelers and began searching but couldn’t find anything other than a few does. Around three o’clock in the afternoon we came across a group of bucks. After I picked the one I wanted to go after I began to close in on the group and my dad stayed back with his spotting scope. I was about 630 yards away from the group when they started to spot me and began moving so I set up for my first shot that I ended up missing, which caused them to scramble. I took a second shot at a different buck and missed again, but the final shot I fired took the buck down. The one I ended up shooting was smaller than the one I originally aimed for but I was still happy with it. I had to pack it over a mile to get back to the base location.”