3 Students Earn National Merit Honors

Lukas Herrmann, McKay Harms and Heather Casper enjoy the distinction of becoming Nation Merit Semifinalists.

Brittany Corona

Brittany Corona

Staff

Three more Skyline students have earned top honors by qualifying as semifinalists for a National Merit Scholarship. Heather Casper (12), McKay Harms (12) and Lukas Herrmann (12) all scored in the top 1 percent of the nation when they took the PSAT/NMSQT last year as juniors. If they pass through to the finals, they will each earn a full ride scholarship anywhere they want to go for college.

Earning this distinction is quite an honor. “I would say that I’m more pleased than anything else. Earning this essentially legitimized all my extra work and made it worthwhile,” Casper said. She plans to major in physics or engineering and is trying to decide between University of Colorado, Colorado School of Mines, or University of Michigan.

Herrmann is not sure where he plans to go yet, but said he is “excited and glad that my hard work paid off.” He reports that he studied using a PSAT prep book, and he would encourage underclassmen to take the PSAT and other standardized tests seriously.

Harms, who had not really thought he had a chance of getting a National Merit Award, is also in the process of looking at various colleges, but he admits he studied using the Princeton Review practice book. His advice to underclassmen? “Learn the tricks of standardized tests. Once you know the tricks your scores will certainly increase,” Harms said.

Brittany Corona