Loss of Sleep: How Bad Is It?

Marcos Resendiz, Reporter

Sleep deprivation has been a problem for many students and many of them don’t know the impact it can have towards a lot of people. In the long term sleeping is an important part of life and lacking sleep can bring death closer to you than ever.
Lack of sleep can cause oneself to not be as alert; even losing as much as one hour of sleep can result into losing daytime alertness by 32 percent.
Loss of sleep has a significant effect on the mind such as impaired memory and not being able to think straight. Another thing it might affect is not being able to enjoy certain things, since the mind is more focused on sleeping it can’t focus on certain activities like watching your favorite TV show and watching movies. These things are relatively easy to combat since all you really need is to have a good night’s sleep.
But what long term effects can sleep depravity do to someone’s livelihood? For starters due to lack of alertness from sleep deprivation you’re more prone to accidents, fatal or nonfatal.
Your immune system is especially active while sleeping. But sleep deprivation can cause the immune system to not function properly, leading to various long term medical illnesses such as high blood pressure, heart failure, strokes and some psychological illnesses like depression or change of mood. If that’s not enough, studies show that a lack of sleep is more life threatening than smoking and heart disease.
Sleep deprivation can cause many physical changes, usually around the eyes such as fine lines, rings, and overall dead looking eyes. To add insult to injury you gain more weight because of loss of sleep becausethe brain develops a higher craving for unhealthy food.
In short, lack of sleep leads to dying faster and becoming overweight. It’s difficult changing sleep schedules especially after summer break, but dying from lack of sleep is the lamest way to go. So go catch some Zs.