Sleepless in September

Keegan Oldham, Co-editor

Nathan Mack (11) at Skyline High School struggles daily with insomnia. “I just go through life constantly tired… (Without insomnia) I am sure that I would be a lot happier in life.” The seriousness of insomnia causes many problems for Nathan. His grades, relationships, and health are all affected.

With school starting many may experience something similar. Balancing work, sports and school takes its toll on high school students when it comes to bedtime. Experiencing symptoms including troubles falling and staying asleep, and a lack of feeling well rested. This is insomnia, a very common problem for many and it varies in severity. In most cases people will struggle focusing and feel drowsy throughout the day. According to the National Health Service, lack of sleep can have a major impact on mental health. “…lack of sleep can affect your overall health and make you prone to serious medical conditions, such as obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.”

In the less severe examples of insomnia, there are many ways to “cure” and help relieve the symptoms. The best way to help is by improving sleep habits. This is simple. Have a regular bedtime schedule and the human biological clock will know it’s time for bed making you sleepy. This helps maintain a regular time to wake up making it easier to get up in the morning. Many can get used to school and daylight savings time even. Also, not using technology before bed and only using your bed for sleep can aid as well.

Many people with insomnia may take sleep-inducing drugs as well. These are substances that naturally induce sleepiness just like caffeine induces energy and alertness. The list of substances that are accepted as sleep aids include: melatonin, triazolam, halcion, temazepam, and restoril.

*New conclusion* Majority of those who go to Skyline High School can relate to not having enough sleep. Imagine the worst of that feeling and having it constantly. The effort you can put into anything is limited to the small amounts of energy you have throughout the day. “(If not for insomnia) I would have more friends … I would definitely be in advanced placement classes.”