Graduation Requirements change again

Katelyn Martinez, Reporter

In the school year 2016-2017 all seniors were required to take the civics assessment as part of the graduation requirements, and now the requirements have changed again. Over the last several years the graduation requirements have constantly changed, from biology being a require credit to the senior project. Three out of the nine credits needed for science were required to be biology. Now students no longer have to take biology. “I’m mad because I think that Biology is important, but I could have taken other science classes that are important to me,” Erin Glinski (11) said, she was not alone in feeling upset. Riley Porter-Griffen (11), who in her Sophomore year took AP biology, said, “[I] wasted a year, my sanity and 75 dollars.” “I feel good about it because maybe some people don’t use it in their future and others do, and now they can manage their future” Karen Carillo (9) said, feeling more positive about the recent changes. For this years’ juniors and seniors biology was a required course, but Maria Flores (12)  is not at all bothered by the change. When asked how she felt she commented,“I think that Biology not being required is okay because it leaves room on students’ schedules for more classes that they actually want to take.” In contrast the freshmen and sophomores get to choose what they enroll in and they get to pursue their interests rather than being required to take a biology class.  

Graduation requirements should reflect upon career interests not what the education department considers is important. For students that have already taken the course, this change of requirements causes some dismay because they were forced to take a class that did not pertain to their interests. If the graduation requirements continue to change, they should change for the students, to help the students.