Your phone affects how well you sleep

Emilio Lee

Sleep. It is one of the most important things in order for our bodies to grow, regain energy, and function, along with breakfast being the most important meal of the day. But with today’s day and age of advancements with technology, not many people seem to be worried that screens are affecting their bodies. The truth is, they really are. A lot of research links TVs, computer screens, cell phones and tablets to sleep loss.

For starters, the brightness of the screen can trick the brain to being awake because of the blue light in the computers, TVs, and any technology that has a screen. It interferes with the natural biorhythm indicators of the body that use clues from the environment to help the body transition into “rest mode” at the end of the day. Normally the color blue is the go-to color to sleep, but not blue light.

Blue light can also be dangerous to the eyes. Dr. Gary Heiting, the senior editor of AllAboutVision.com with more than 25 years of experience as an eye care provider, health educator and consultant to the eyewear industry, says that the reasons why is the blue light can damage light-sensitive cells in the retina. This important part of the eye is critical, and the damage resembles that of macular degeneration, which can lead to permanent vision loss, especially when viewed in the dark with no other light on and the brightness all the way up on the device.

Now it may not be surprising, but it can be a bigger than you realize. Addiction, but not like the one’s with drugs and alcohol. No, it deals with technology addiction. Like bengina watching one of your favorite shows or new ones, looking at Instagram, Pinterest, and other social media, and many othering things on your devices and electronics.

Now for the two good thing about your phone, and that only if you have it next to you while you sleep. It can increase your awareness. The reasons on why is that the if you have it right next to you like when you have your notification is on for anything like Snapchat, Facebook, your E-mail, and many other things.

All thought this might be a good to some people, but it can be a bad thing to other people. Like to those who have or gain anxiety, just an update and decide to stay up to look at said update or get up from a good night sleep.

Despite these negative, advancements in technology it can also help you sleep better if used properly. For instance, you can have an app that can help you sleep. Like Sleep Cycle, this take the scientific approach to waking you up after a good night’s rest, Pillow, Apple’s sleeping app for all of their handheld device, Sleep Time, it has over 2 billion hours around the world, Pzizz, it used psychoacoustic principles that cause you have good dreams to help you sleep, and finally Sleep Genius, this had helped form NASA. Now what has all of their thing all have in common? Well they all can analyse your sleep patterns, can tell you to walk up, and many other thing to and other app that can do the same. Like if you move before and/or during you sleep, they can analyse and give you tips to help you sleep and possibly it can make some noise that can help you sleep, and no, not heavy metal noise, it used some smoothing noise or music, like the sound of the ocean, rain forest, a nice rain fall, and many other things.

Technology may be advanced and come with cool things on. But with ever good thing comes with a bad thing, no matter how small it is.