No DACA es Caca

DACA supporters march the streets of Pocatello, Idaho. The Mexican flag and Defend DACA signs were held high as they marched to the Student Union Building

Kristina Batalden

Kristina Batalden

Alejandra Salinas, Editor in Chief

Trump dumped DACA making him caca. For those who don’t know what DACA is, it’s a program that stands for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. Under former president Barack Obama, DACA was made for illegal immigrants who entered the country as a child. This program allows these DREAMERs to get a work permit and attend school. They are also protected from being deported. Although it’s only a two-year permit, they are able to re-apply. But this program has now been brought to an end.

This program has given these DREAMERs a chance to go to college and get a career, which is the dream not only they had, but their parents had as well. These DREAMERs were given the opportunity to somewhat repay their parents for all their hard work they put in just so they could go to school. It made it all worth it: working long hours in factories, farms, and restaurants just to give their children a better life. That is the main reason they came to “El Norte,” to see their children grow and become someone in this world. “Some parents didn’t have an education to help their children, but still came to the U.S. to give them a better life and now their children aren’t going to be able to have the future their parents had wished,” Eric Rivas (12) said. Now the Trump Administration has taken away the only chance these 800,000 undocumented DREAMERs had.

“My family were immigrants to this country and I am sure glad they came.  But I also understand that legal entrance to the United States is important. People should be encouraged to come here but should do it legally. It’s too bad that a program designed to help kids make their way and become productive was rescinded.  And, economic studies show that DACA had a positive effect on our country’s economy. I wish the program, however, had a citizenship component that would have provided a path towards citizenship,”

-Economics teacher Gregg Baczuk 

Trump’s Administration took their hope away. DREAMERs are at the verge of losing their jobs. Imagine having to go home and having to explain to your parents that the help you were providing them with is no longer there. That’s what these DREAMERs are having to do. They are afraid of the thought of being deported since they gave all their information away into this application.  Luckily, several states supporting this program have argued against president Trump’s decision. Over 15 states have sued him for this action. There have been protests across the country, including some here in Idaho Falls and Pocatello, Idaho. English teacher Kristina Batalden marched in the Pocatello march. “I want them to become citizens. I want them to have their papers… to be accepted,” she said. “Education not deportation” and “We are the American Dream’ are a two of the many phrases posters carried as they walked down the streets. DREAMERs have until Oct. 5 to renew their permit.