Students produce “Serenity” music video

@John Lennon Bus

The John Lennon bus made a stop at Skyline on May 9, and five lucky students were able to work with professionals to produce an original song and music video.

Andres Barrera

Andres Barrera

Andres Barrera and Morgan Felt, Reporter

The John Lennon Bus made a stop at Skyline on May 9, and some very lucky students got to experience what it’s like to record and star in a music video. The bus is in honor of the late John Lennon. The point of the bus is to spread peace and love across the country according to their website.
The John Lennon Educational Tour Bus, presented by Canon, is a non-profit 501(c)(3) state-of-the-art mobile audio and HD video recording and production facility. Students were nominated by Robert Dunmire, band teacher.
Jordan Schmitt (11) was one of the students selected to be in the project because of his drum talent. “It was a definitely a good experience and really fun to work with the engineers and see what they do,” Schmitt said.
The organization brought the equipment, and the students put their ideas to work. “The producers were super awesome and had a schedule oriented for us. We started by coming up with ideas, so we wrote the first verse, and then we laid down tracks, recorded everyone’s parts for the first verse, and then while everyone was recording tracks, whoever wasn’t recording helped write the chorus. Essentially, we got the ball moving before we knew where it was going. We started with a key and a basis, and went from there, building on top of the different parts,” Emily Hart (12) said.
Marissa Haacke (11) helped with the vocals. “The five of us collaborated really well and had our own ideas. We were able to work them all together. We based the song around becoming your own self and branching out and becoming a new you.” She also told the Post Register, “When I heard about the bus, I was able to look it up online and see the impact it had on other students, and it seemed like a really great opportunity to participate.
The event was put together by business teacher Beverly Hott and band teacher Robert Dunmire. “It was a great experience that I truly did enjoy,” Schmitt said.  Check out the video on youtube at this link: https://youtu.be/cEIgkZbi27U