Student government makes changes to election process and positions

Keegan Oldham, Reporter

Student government is reinventing the way students are elected. Until now, everyone partook in the election process equally, but it is no longer a popularity contest: Now the vote of students at Skyline has been limited to 25 percent, and student body president, vice president, and a select few administrators will evaluate how well candidates succeed at achieving the objectives outlined on the election rubrics for their posters, interviews, and candidate speeches/videos (each portion being worth 25 percent).
Student Government Adviser Heidi Guza believes this will give every candidate equal opportunity to become an elected official in student body. “I wanted to even the playing field and make it so anyone has a chance.” Guza believes this change will also increase the number of applicants next year after students see the effectiveness of this. “We have had a very uncontested race, and we hope that increases next year.”
With these new changes, new positions have been introduced to student government as well. Instead of male and female activity directors, there will be an activity director and a service director. The activity director will be focused on planning and organizing activities in Skyline High School while the service director will be focused on events out in the Idaho Falls community.
Aubrey Thuernagle (10), a current candidate running for service director, also describes the changes in student government: “I think it’s a lot more fair in student government this year. It’s not a popularity contest anymore; it is actually analyzing your strengths and weaknesses and seeing if you would be good in student government.”
Reactions from the student body appear to be mixed. While some seem to appreciate the changing election process, others believe their voice is being taken away. Konnor Wiley (12) said “Student government should be chosen by the people, as it is for the people.
While some were negative, others were quite supportive of the change. Annalise Cheret (10) said, “Student vote is mostly based on popularity. Student government officials choose the candidate whose campaign is well done and who will be best for the school.” Thomas Hansen (10) said, “I think that this gives the less popular
candidates a chance, unlike before when a candidate would win mainly because of their relevance in the school.”