Skyline Track Team: Ready, set, run, jump, and throw!

Jessica Lee, Reporter

Track is often about guts, not glory, but this year the Skyline team has both. For the girls, Jada Johnson (12) is currently ranked third in the state for the High Jump, and for the guys, Enrique Cook (10) is ranked sixth in the state for the 100 meter sprint, and Walker Spaulding (12) and

Spencer Harding (10) are both tied for fifth in the High Jump.  

The 2-2-4-8 relay team, consisting of Cook, Caleb Mayes (11), Chayse Kidd (10) and McKay Harms (11), is currently ranked first. In total, we have 48 dedicated students competing on the track team in events ranging from discus and pole vault to hurdles and relays.  

In the past month, athletes have traveled to Twin Falls, Boise, Shelley and Madison to compete, but this coming weekend they will run their hearts out at the Tiger/Grizz, one of the largest track meets in Idaho.

State Champion distance runners are continuing to earn high rankings with Ryan Barna (12), Harrison Roberts (12) and Nick Barna (12) all ranking second, fifth and sixth respectively in the 3200 meter due to their performance at the Patriot Invitational on April 14 at Centennial High School in Boise, Idaho.

To prepare for this busy schedule, Skyline track members practice every day after school until 6:30 so they can do their best at competitions. Many track athletes acknowledge it is difficult to keep caught up on school work when they are pulled out of class so much to compete.

One of our students on the track team, Brea Danklefsen (10), is on a soccer team as well on the track team. She goes from track practice to soccer practice in one day. Sometimes Danklefsen will even have a track meet and a soccer game on the same day. “It is very exhausting, but I love soccer too much to not play year round. They wanted me to be on the track team and I couldn’t say no. Track is a lot of fun, we have a lot of fun at the meets,” Danklefsen said.

Payton Bird (11), who runs a relay with Danklefsen, said, “I’ve ran track since I was in 7th grade, I really like it! I do sprints and I’m on a couple of relays. The hardest thing about track for me is the weather and competing in rain and snow. Good ole’ Idaho!”

Zion Johnson (10) excels at the triple jump.  When asked why he does it, he replied, “I don’t know.  It’s just fun.  I like jumping, and I like being on the team with the people.  Being in the relays  when you get to hand off to people is just pretty fun.”