Filed under Showcase, Uncategorized

The Toddler Years of the Internet

Everyone is getting excited about the upcoming 5G data in urban areas of America. It will be an even faster and more reliable source of internet for the common people making the problems of our mundane life easier. Today there is rarely a day that one does not use the Internet. From Google searches to Snapchat to cat videos, almost everyone has used one or the other. But many forget the early years of the Internet.

The invention of Internet in 1983, and more importantly the invention of the World Wide Web in 1990, changed the world forever. But what was the Internet like in the 90’s? “It was really slow and there wasn’t much content out there besides text,” David Heath, technology teacher, said. “There wasn’t much there, and most of the sources were sketchy,” Airica Staley, science teacher, said. The thirty seconds it took to get on the Internet would be a dubstep remix of beeps, screeches, and rings that could drive someone insane after 20 minutes of constant exposure.

Before Google became king of Internet browsing, Internet Explorer was the number one service due to it being free to browse on. (Yes, it did cost money to use web browsers back in the day.)  To gain the ability to get onto the Internet, computers required discs that came in the mail. Searching for memes and asking Google how to tie a tie wasn’t accessible. Instead, people could go to an instant messaging chat room to ask up to 20 other strangers a question. And people couldn’t even do that without the exact link to the website they were looking for.

People love their Snapchat filters today. But it wasn’t as easy to get a picture off the internet then as it is now. All anyone could see was the link to the photo, and if users decided to download it to actually see the photo, it would take approximately 20 minutes to view a low quality photo.

Enjoy the pleasures of being able to access the Internet anywhere? Well in the 90’s families needed a landline connection that kicked the users off the Internet everytime the phone rang, or friends and family were hampered with constant busy signals. The phone was a family landline the size of a brick. It’s hard to imagine a phone with a cord, but one that everyone has to share? It’s obvious why it was a source of conflict in some 90’s households. Some people in Idaho might complain about the amount of time it is going to take to get 5G, but remember to think of the 90’s and see how good it really is.